Monday, March 25, 2013

Baked Chicken Spaghetti


So it's dinner time again, and guess who doesn't know what to make?? Me, yes, I am culinary trained, and am in the kitchen all day at work, but when I come home, we are either running to ball practice, girl scouts, church, or just plain exhausted. I hate serving my family junk, so I am always looking for something convenient but wholesome to feed the fam that's not full of fat, calories, or preservatives.
The other night was one of those busy nights, so I opened my fridge, and pantry and got to work.
 I saw two leftover rotisserie chickens (from one of those nights I had to grab something on the go) and thought, what could I do with that??? My mother always made a really good chicken spaghetti growing up, so I started looking through my pantry to make some kind of "Baked Chicken Spaghetti"

Here is what you need:
1 Fully Rotisserie chicken, chicken removed and cut up
1 1/2 cups Spinach leaves
1 green pepper, cleaned and cubed
Baby bella mushrooms sliced (or any kind you prefer)
1 cup Sour cream (low fat)
2 cans Cream of chicken (98% fat free)
 about 1/2 cup Panko
1 package Whole wheat spaghetti pasta
about 1 TBSP thyme
about 1 1/2 tsp basil
Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
Garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste.



In 9x13 casserole dish mix cream of chicken soup, sour cream, green pepper, spinach, spices, and herbs.


Add cut up chicken to mixture.



Cook noodles al dente, drain, and add to mixture.


Top with sliced mushrooms and a little parmesan (I only topped 3/4 because a few or my family members don't like them) and then top off with Panko.


Bake at 325 for about 20-30 minutes. Take out to cool about 5, then serve and enjoy!


A lot of this can be substituted or omitted, or feel free to add whatever you like. I just grabbed what I had. You don't have to use a left over rotisserie like I did, you can just buy one from the store already to go, or make it yourself if you have more time. Either way it was a hit with my trio of kiddos! (and the hubs who doesn't quite care for whole wheat noodles, and I'm not really even sure if he knew!)







No comments:

Post a Comment