Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Powerballs!!


OK, talk about an amazing snack for you and the kiddos! I love finding different healthy snack ideas to throw in the gym bag for an all day basketball or wrestling tournament, or for just an after school snack. 
These are packed full of amazing superfoods, you can feel guilt free popping a few of these in your mouth! There are tons of recipes out there for powerballs, and really, you can make concoctions of many different ingredients. They are a great snack for you or your kiddos that pack a great nutritious punch of protein.

Here is an oldie but goodie, a recipe I made with the kids that I wrote on my old blog last year:

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup honey
3 cups oats
1 1/2 TBSP Hemp seeds  (love these!...amazing super food! a complete protein, and rich in minerals!)
1 1/2 TBSP Chia seeds (another complete protein high in antioxidants, amongst other things)
about 1/2 cup sliced almonds
3 TBSP ground flax seed (ground is better than whole, your body absorbs them easier)
1 cup coconut
Add all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour honey and peanut butter in a separate bowl and mix until smooth. I use a raw wildflower honey that I buy from a local bee farmer. Processed honey is heated and filtered, robbing it of its natural ingredients. 
Raw honey is powerful for your immune system. It contains 27 minerals, 22 amino acids, and 5,000 enzymes. Just one daily spoonful in your diet is all you need to get these benefits!
Now add the peanut butter mixture into the oat/nut mixture and stir until combined. It should resemble a thick cookie dough mixture.
Now roll into balls of desired size. I prefer the small bite sized. The kids made these with me this time and wanted to help, so I let them. I told them to finish rolling and came back a few minutes later to see Cody's bite sized are a little bigger than some. I love my kids!

Anyway, after you have rolled them they are ready to eat! I like to let them sit on a cookie sheet for like an hour to get a little firm, then store in a tupperware container. They can last well over a month, but I can guarantee they won't last that long, and least they never have in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment