Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Whats for breakfast....

So I'm hungry this morning, and I am craving something...oat-y, and slightly sweet. I found a granny smith apple and cored it.
I grabbed about a scant half cup of old fashioned oats. Oh, and by the way, old fashioned oats are a whole grain food that are high in fiber, which of course is great for you daily diet, and has been linked to a reduced risk diabetes, heart disease, and so on. So anyway you can incorporate them into your normal eating habits, get them in! 

I added 1 Tsp  of dark brown sugar  and 1 TBSP Agave Nectar (known for its low glycemic index) and mix them together.







I then put the apple in a large muffin liner, and stuffed it with the oat mixture, and let the excess drop around the apple,







Now, I suggest wrapping it up lightly in foil to give it somewhat of a steam effect. Pop it in the oven about 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you like your apple.






After baking, open it up.....grab a fork.....









                                                           
And dig in!!!







It really is a yummy treat, but next time I will probably use a Gala apple, or honey crisp. The Granny smith apple was a little too tart for me with this particular mixture. But try it out, play with flavors, add some cinnamon or nutmeg. I love playing with my food, ya never know what you might come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment