Wednesday, January 23, 2013

you forgot the yeast?!....now what?!



Ok, so, I'm making King cake (which is a really big deal down here around this time) and I make the rich, smooth dough, and put it in the bowl to rise. I check it almost and hour later, and it hasn't budged, and I think, well, it is pretty cold in here, maybe I should put it in the proofer. I put it in the proofer and come back almost another hour later, and look at it, and yep, again, nothing! I start analyzing what I did when I was putting it together, and came to the realization I left out the yeast. Augh! So, this dough is sitting there, I don't want to waste it, and I think, hmmmm,....cookies???
I weighed out pieces about 2 oz each, and rolled each one out really thin. I sprinkled cinnamon/sugar mix all over the dough and rolled it up and twisted it up into a round shape like a regular king cake, and then just smashed it really flat. I sprinkled them with a little more cinnamon sugar and popped them in the oven. Instantly out of the oven I topped them with my King Cake glaze, sprinkled on purple, green, and yellow sugars, and voila! King cake cookies!!! Taste good, smell good, look good, and all done by accident :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment