Friday, February 6, 2015

Gluten Free Coconut Blueberry pancakes

OK, so with the weekend coming I thought a pancake post would be appropriate, especially when that seems to be one of the only times I get the family together to make breakfast. (well not this weekend, we have tournaments all weekend!) But, anyways, this is another oldie but goodie from my old blog, and so I am going to find time to squeeze these in somewhere this weekend. Mmmmm how about breakfast for dinner!

I was super excited the first time I came across coconut flour while shopping for new flour substitutes to try. I love love LOVE basically anything coconut as it is! So, after buying it, I went home and got on the computer and started my research on coconut flour.

OK, so, coconut flour is a soft flour produced from dried coconut meat. Apparently you can make it on your own, but for now i will choose to just purchase it, and not tackle that beast, well, not yet that is! Coconut flour has so many health benefits, being rich in protein and fiber, how can you go wrong :0)

Now here are some things you should know when baking with coconut flour, for one, it is super absorbent. You cannot just substitute coconut flour 1:1 ratio for other wheat or other grain-based flours. You should usually use about 1/4-1/3 cup coconut flour for every 1 cup grain based flour. You will also need to use more eggs, for example, every 1 cup coconut flour you use, you will need to use like 6 beaten eggs in addition to approximately one cup liquid such a coconut milk. I strongly suggest starting out with recipes that people have already used successfully when trying your hand at it at first, instead of just experimenting, as it is not cheap, and you could end up being disappointed, and alot of money down the drain :0(

So, speaking of a well used recipe, the first one I tried was one I found for chocolate chip coconut pancakes online. It looked great so I tried it out and it was good, but  I love blueberries so I took the base of that recipe, and tweaked it some, added blueberries instead of chocolate chips, and it was sooooo yummy! (not to mention, I think the blueberries make it a little more moist) I snapped a picture of the pancakes, and as you can see I am not the best food photographer, but delicious doesn't have to mean pretty :0)

So without further adieu, here is the recipe:

Chef Cher's Gluten Free Coconut blueberry pancakes.


5 eggs separated
5 TBSP coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup almond or coconut milk room temp
2 TBSP Honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup + 1 TBSP coconut flour
1 TBSP ground flax seed
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup blueberries
coconut oil cooking spray


Mix melted coconut oil, milk, honey, and vanilla in small bowl. (make sure your milk is room temperature or your coconut oil will seize up)

Mix dry ingredients together in another bowl.

Separate eggs into separate mixing bowls.

Beat egg whites to soft peaks, then beat egg yolks until thick and creamy.

Mix liquid ingredients into egg yolks. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.

Whisk dry ingredients into egg mixture.

Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto preheated pan or griddle.

Sprinkle blueberries on each pancake.

NOW...this is where the patience part comes in...(which I really lack!!)

Give them a few minutes and until they become kind of puffy before your flip. (my first set were quite messy due to my lack of patience!)

Let me know how they turn out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment