Thursday, August 20, 2015

Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake in a mug!

Ok, so I had a sweet craving the other night, and not having many options, I tried this out, and it was really good! I found a recipe online for a cake in a mug kind of thing, an revamped it a little and I really liked it. One thing I have found is many gluten free desserts call for so much sugar, like this one, a whole whopping 3 TBSP! I mean that is in one serving.....and I just couldn't bring myself to use that much so I used just 1 TBSP (still feeling guilty). I grew up on homemade shortcake, and it was never super sweet so I figured it should be fine and it was. Eventually I will find some other way to substitute, but like my previous post, I am still in that "going Gluten free starvation mode" so I guess  I just haven't had the patience yet.

Above you will see in my picture (I know, not the best pic, I just shot it with my phone really fast) that I used a ramekin instead of a mug...so to each his own, they both work great. I want to mention also, this is an individual serving, but I think it can be two servings. I am usually full half way through eating it and save the rest for later.

So, here we go....grab a 12 oz mug or ramekin and a small mixing bowl:

Add to mug/ramekin:
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP sugar
and melt in microwave about 30 seconds, stir until blended

Whisk in separate mixing bowl:
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP gluten free flour mix
3/8 tsp gluten free baking powder
pinch of salt

Make a well in flour mixture and pour in:
3 1/2 TBSP Almond milk
1/8 tsp vanilla

Mix until blended, then add the oil/sugar mixture and stir until blended.
Pour a little batter into mug/ramekin (which will be pre-oiled from your sugar oil mixture!) put your strawberries on top, then top with remaining batter (see pic below)

This is when you put in the microwave for about 120 seconds. If center isn't set you can do another 10 seconds until it is done. We are talking maybe 5 minutes total for a sweet treat. 
Take it out, let it cool a tad, and enjoy!
Oh, and I did this with blueberries the other day as well.....soooo good!





No comments:

Post a Comment