Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ahhhh yes....a steaming cup of Hot Chocolate.....

Hot Chocolate is one of those sweet treats we love to enjoy during the holidays, or even just on a cold day.
I have tried many different kinds, right down to the home-made mix my mother makes (and we sell at our Bakery) But this is one recipe I just have to try: 

Wittamer’s Belgian Hot Chocolate 
(Wittamer's is said to be one of the best chocolate shops in Brussels)
Four to six servings
1 quart (1l) half-and-half or whole milk
8 ounces (230g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 ounces (115g) milk chocolate, finely chopped
tiny pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Warm about one-third of the half-and-half or milk, with the chopped chocolates and salt, stirring until the chocolate is melted.
2. Whisk in the remaining half-and-half or milk, heating until the mixture is warmed through. Add the cinnamon.
3. Use a hand-held blender, or a whisk, and mix the hot chocolate until it’s completely smooth. Serve very warm.
At Wittamer, it’s served with a poof of whipped cream and chocolate curls.
 Leftover mix can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days, and re-warmed in a saucepan or microwave oven.



Normally I always add marshmallows, maybe just the kid in me, but its a must. Oh, and home-made marshmallows, even better! AND...cinnamon, gotta add some cinnamon, not only does it zest up your hot chocolate, but cinnamon has so many health benefits (as I have mentioned before in cider) but hey another important one- just smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory, which especially around the holidays with my bogged down brain I can use any help I can get!!

No comments:

Post a Comment