Tuesday, November 27, 2012

family traditions continued....

Well Thanksgiving is over, and its time to put up the Christmas decorations, ......and the most important part for us...... DECORATING THE CHRISTMAS TREE!!!

Every year, my grandmother would pick out an ornament that represented who we were that year. Something special about us, that something neat that we were into, sport we played, interest or hobby we had, was somehow represented in an ornament. Every Christmas when it was time to put up the Christmas tree it was so much fun pulling out our ornaments. Checking out each one, reflecting on why we got a little squirrel in a rocking chair sewing, or a Koala bear with a telephone, or one of my absolute favorites, Santa Clause with a belly full of cookies :)


Tonight we put on the Christmas music, pulled out our family ornaments, all of mine from when I was younger, and then watched my three children squeal in delight and get excited when I would pull out one of theirs, reminiscing on why their grandmother gave them that ornament for that year. Talking about what they might get this year. See, my mother now carries on that tradition, and I treasure it so much, as I know they do too. I miss my grandmother so much, and its such a neat piece of our  history together that I get to remember every Christmas, as we continue this family tradition.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet entry. I too, love this part of the year and reminiscing on days gone by and remembering the amazing people that helped mold us to who we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, I love love love this time of year!...and yes, remembering, (and missing) those people, its kind of bittersweet :)

      Delete
  2. We're putting up our tree . . . and your mom is "squealing in delight" as she pulls out the ones her kids made for her! Especially that ol' dixie cup bell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when all the kids were done decorating, I brought out my bag of homemade ornaments, and I told them, now I understand why she still put up that bell!

      Delete